Regardless the form of exercise, chances are we all need an exercise mat. And if we don’t own one, there is always one in fitness studios. Either way, it’s best if before and after each use you disinfect the mat. In this article, I share with you the recipe for a natural cleanser for your exercise mat.
Of course, you can always make your own combinations based on your needs. Find the ingredient ratio that has worked for me below.
About the yoga mat :
Several years ago, I invested in a good yoga mat made of 100% natural materials. It’s been very durable so far due to its excellent composition, even though my cats insist on digging their nails in it. If you exercise often, it is very important to make sure you have the proper equipment,so that your body comes in contact with the right materials. Not in a million years would I want to come in contact with plastic materials, full of toxins, while I’m working out and my pores are open.
If you exercise regularly and have the money for it, I suggest you invest in a quality mat made of natural materials. You will do good to your health and the environment, while you will keep it forever.
How to keep our yoga mat clean :
Whatever mat you use for your workouts, it is always good to keep it clean. You can make your own cleanser with these simple ingredients to disinfect your mat with a clean cloth, before and after each session.
If we don’t have our own yoga mat and use someone else’s then it’s even more important to disinfect the mattress before and after each use, to respect the person that will use it next.
How to make a natural cleanser for your yoga mat :
- A jar (200 ml)
- A spray bottle You can just use a spray bottle of 200 ml to start with, or a smaller one so that you always have it with you. I personally make the cleanser in a jar and then fill a smaller spray bottle.
- 1 cup of grapefruit peels
- 200 ml of filtered water
- Lavender essential oil
- Tea tree oil
- Lemon juice
- White vinegar
- Fresh herbs from your pot (such as lavender, mint or whatever you prefer)
- A knife
- A strainer
- A clean washable cloth
- Using a knife, peela few pieces of grapefruit. You will need 1 cup or 5 tablespoons.
- Pour the 200 ml of filtered water in a jar (without the lid)
- Add the grapefruit peels
- Add the fresh herbs I added 5 sprigs of lavender that we have in our terrace.
- Let the jar rest for 2-3 days for the peels and fresh herbs to release their precious oils.
- After 2-3 days, you are ready to make the natural cleanser. Strainthe peels and spices and keep the scented liquid.
- To the flavored liquid, add the rest of the ingredients:
– 3 drops of lavender essential oil
– 3 dropsof tea tree oil
– 1/2 teaspoon oflemon juice
– 2 teaspoons of white vinegar
- Transfer to a spray bottle to use the cleanser.
How to clean your yoga mat :
- Unfold the mat on a drying rack.
- Spray the entire mat with the natural cleanser you just made.
- Rub gently with a clean washable cloth and spread the natural cleanser on the whole mat.
- Once this side is done, turn the yoga mat over and repeat on the other one.
- Let it air out for 20 minutes. Your yoga mat is ready!
- You can always clean your mat on the floor or any other clean surface. If you haven’t cleaned your mat in the last 15 days, I suggest you follow the instructions above for a better results. After this thorough cleaning session, you can just disinfect your mat on the floor in a less meticulous way. Clean thoroughly every 15 days.
- Tea tree and lavender are known for their antiseptic properties. That is why we use them in this disinfectant mixture.
- You can always not strain the mixture and keep the fresh herbs and peels. This will achieve a stronger scent over time, but don’t forget to keep it in the fridge.
- If we don’t have a grapefruit, you can use lemon peels instead.
- It’s best if you don’t overdo it with the essential oils.. A few drops are just as effective. It takes tons of plants to produce a single small bottle of essential oil. This means that its composition is very concentrated and sufficient even in small quantities. Let’s respect our plant friends, by using only the absolutely necessary amounts.
- All the herbs that we added to the mixture, will help our body concentrate in the workouts, while helping us feel euphoric and stimulated.
So what do you think? Will you try to make your own yoga mat cleaner?
See you soon,